GRAMMAR: CONDITIONALS in songs

CONDITIONALS IN SONGS

CONDITIONALS very often appear in songs. There are some examples you may find useful in learning these structures:
 


  • If I were a boy (Beyoncé)




If I had a Million Dollars (the BarenakedLadies)


Smile (Charlie Chaplin)


Time After Time (Cyndi Lauper)



Hero (Enrique Iglesias)



Count on me (Bruno Mars)



  • California Dreaming (The mamas and Papas)



ACTIVITY. Listen to these songs. Then, choose three of them and find all the conditional sentences. You'll have to classify them into types.

    LIST OF SONGS
    Fix You by Coldplay
    I Don’t Want to Talk About It by Rod Stewart (ditto)
    Count on Me by Bruno Mars (link to Busy Teacher, but should be easy enough to create your own worksheet)
    Can’t Buy Me Love by The Beatles
    I’m Your Man by Leonard Cohen
    It Will Rain by Bruno Mars
    If You Leave by OMD
    Moonshadow by Cat Stevens
    If You Leave Me Now by Chicago
    If I Get Locked up Tonight by Eminem
    If You Tolerate This, Your Children Will Be Next by Manic Street Preachers
    Hey by The Pixies
    If You Don’t Know Me by Now by Simply Red
    The Promise by Tracy Chapman